Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Change, for the better!

Well, if you follow me on Google+ you would have seen me post several pictures with the word 'change' and today is the day.

I travel, I work on videos, and I write a lot.  So I don't want to carry my laptop anymore, and I decided to use the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 to help me solve some issues.  I know you might be thinking, "J. Williams, you hate TouchWiz right?"  Well, kinda...yes.  But, I needed a tablet that could stand the tests of time, and I feel the Tab S is my guys/girl.  While this isn't a new tablet to the market, it has killer specs that outdo most other tablets for productivity on a bad day.  You ask.  "J. Williams, why didn't you get a Galaxy Note line tablet? " Well, it's simple...size.  I don't like the Galaxy Note 8.0, because the size is crazy for such a small screen.  I don't like the Note 10.1, because it would be too big for the way I want to use it.  Now while there is a LTE version, I opted for the WiFi only model, because I can just tether my connection if I need to on the go.

Let's first look at the specs.

  • 212.8 x 125.6 x 6.6 mm, 294 g (10.37 oz)
  • Fingerprint sensor
  • Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, resolution of 1600 x 2560 pixels, 8.4 inches (~359 ppi pixel density)
  • Android OS, v4.4.2 (KitKat)
  • Exynos 5 Octa 5420, CPU - Quad-core 1.9 GHz Cortex-A15 & quad-core 1.3 GHz Cortex-A7
  • GPU - Mali-T628 MP6
  • Memory 16/32 GB, 3 GB RAM, microSD, up to 128 GB
  • Rear Camera - 8 MP, 3264 x 2448 pixels, autofocus, LED flash, Geo-tagging, 1080p@30fps
  • Front Camera  - 2.1 MP
  • Two stereo speakers (one on each side of the tablet, while in landscape mode)
  • Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot, bluetooth v4.0, A2DP, LE, GPS, 
  • Non-removable Li-Ion 4900 mAh battery
So the Tab S is very slim in the hand, and lite weight to say the least.  If feels good, even better than my iPad Air 2 (which is very slim as well.)  The Tab S comes with one of the best screens I've ever seen on a tablet, it's truly amazing.  If you have not used one before, head over to your local bestbuy and check one out.  You will be blown away at what you see.  The reason I've decided to use this tablet over my iPad is because it can do more, and offers more for productivity.  I like being able to switch out an SD if I need to, or take a photo with the LED flash if I need to for work.  It's like having the Note line tablet, without the SPen.  

I can and will put a different launcher on it, when I'm not using it for work purposes.   Another reason the Tab S works for me, is 'Android. '  Android is one of the best operating systems you will ever use, hands down.  I need the flexibility of choice, and with this tablet I'm getting that.

The sound that comes from this tablet is very nice, and borderline amazingly clear.  Crisp, and clean is how I would describe it at this point.  The sound that comes from my iPad Air 2, and iPad Mini (retina) is more basses, which leads to an offset in sound.  I prefer treble with tablet speakers, and I'm getting that here with the Tab S.

The cameras on the Tab S are good, and better than most other tablets in it's class to say the least.  The fact that I have an LED flash (even if it's not the best), is still good.  It doesn't have to be perfect, but at least it's there.  Which is more than I can say for my other tablets.  It houses the same old sammy camera UI that will all know, and love or hate.  Nothing special about it here.  Take a picture, and post it to twitter, instagram, or facebook...you know the norm.

When it comes to web browsing, this is a sweet spot for me.  I have to have the right side screen, and it has to be clear.  The Chrome browser is the perfect match for this tablet, and does well in day to day use.

The processor in this tablet is fast, and I mean it goes!  Not one hiccup or stutter to this day, it really is that smooth.  Even though it's touchwiz, it still moves.  Moving on the features, it has one that I will use a lot.  Multi-Window, a feature that devices over 7 inches should always have.  Samsung really hit a home-run with this feature, and they do it better than anyone else I've seen try it.  They created it, and they are still in charge of it.  Battery on the Tab S is really solid, and should last you at least 2 days with heavy use or 4 to 5 days with lite usage.

Overall, I like the Tab S, and it now will be my daily tablet of choice for work, and some play.  Leaving my iPad Air 2, and Mini for gaming or play time around the house.  




Thank you, and remember...if it's not 'tech talk', it's not worth talking about.

J. Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment