Search This Blog

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Are benchmarks really important? I say 'NOPE'



So I decided to upgrade my Moto X 2014 to lollipop, and the tests were very surprising!

As you saw in the video above, there was not much difference in the benchmark test.  In fact the lollipop software performed worse in some areas. So what is this mean about benchmark test?  To me, it means they are pointless just like drop test.  

In real-world test in users do not care about benchmarks, only the techies from time to time will look at benchmarks.  I don't know about you but I personally, do not care for benchmarks.  What are we really looking for?  Sometimes I only do benchmarks at the request of some of my subscribers, and that was the focus of this article.  The subscriber requested this so I decided to upload it to my blog, instead of YouTube as there are tons of benchmark test on the Moto X already.

People often ask me to benchmark every device that I have, and to that I say no thank you. To me it gives an impression that the device is nowhere near as good as what it really is, and it proves nothing about the device.  It's kind of like driving a Ferrari, and testing the 0 to 60.  What is the purpose of that test?  If you have cutting edge technology under the hood why do you need to test it?  So when it comes to cell phones like the Moto X 2014, it has some of the best hardware under the body.  So benchmarks to me are pointless!  But I always like to give my subscribers what they want, and that's my opinion.  Because I'm sure that in most cases we looked on the net for our phone; and watched videos on our phone; to find out what other people think about her phone.  Only to find that some people don't feel the same way you do, and it leads you to doubt your brand new device.  We've all done this, and we've all fell victim at some point or another, to what someone else is saying about our device and got offended by it.  

If you buy something based on solely on what someone else says, and never test it....you deserve the outcome if you are not happy.  I think the Moto X is a wonderful device, and will enjoy it for some time to come (at least until it does not work anymore, lol).  But until then, forget about benchmark test, and focus on what really matters about your devices.  The enjoyment you get when you power it on, and it's just what you wanted and does what you want it to do.

Have fun with this tech stuff, and keep tech alive.  (Hope too)

Thank you, and remember...if it's not about tech, it's not worth talking about it.

J. Williams


No comments:

Post a Comment